Pharma Marketing with Meaning Pecha Kucha

A few months ago, I innocently agreed to speak at the E-Patient Connections 2009 Conference. I say “innocently” because I didn’t know what I was getting into. It turns out that I somehow agreed to do a Pecha Kucha presentation. How hard could that be? Well, it was one of the most difficult presentations I’ve ever had to prepare. This is despite the fact that a Pecha Kucha presentation is only 6 minutes and 40 seconds. Minor detail though, you get only 20 slides and each slide is on screen for 20 seconds. After that, it advances automatically. No mercy. You don’t get to control it. If you want to see more about this format and see some great examples, check out the website dedicated to Pecha Kucha.

My topic was Marketing with Meaning as it applies to pharma, which I’ve talked about here before in a three part post ( 1, 2, 3). After much preparation, I felt I was finally ready. I was the last to go and, because it would have been too easy otherwise, there was a major glitch with my slides. Instead of seeing the slides I supplied them and checked the day before, I saw “slightly” edited slides that had all the titles cut off or otherwise misformatted. Sometimes this resulted in nonsensical statements and, at other times,  the results were quite amusing. Either way, I had to improv my way through not just this difficult format, but also the additional challenge of a little mystery every time a new slide appeared.

If you want a copy of the ACTUAL slides, as they were supposed to appear, you can download them here. You’ll see the titles and, therefore, slides make a lot more sense this way. This also includes my speaker notes as well..

Pharma Marketing with Meaning Pecha Kucha (1022 downloads)

Without further adieu, here’s my presentation:

In the end, it worked out fine and I was told my presentation was even better because I had to fight through the slide format issue. Of course, I think I should be insulted by this because no one saw my presentation the “right” way so they couldn’t actually make this comparison. But, hey, I’ll take it.

You can dig through the Twitter hashtag feed for the conference to see everything discussed and you can find the feedback that I received as well (I’m afraid to look). The hashtag was #epatcon and I’m @jonmrich.

Here are a few photos from my talk as well. (Photo credit to E-Patient Connections/Kru Research)

[nggallery id=1]

___

Here’s the presentation on SlideShare. Click through to see the notes for each slide.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to “Pharma Marketing with Meaning Pecha Kucha”

1. Kevin at e-Patient Connections October 29, 2009 at 1:05 am #

Jonathan, your botched slides was probably the biggest mistake of the conference. Apologies again about that – still baffling. Very cool how your iPhone worked so well to record this. Maybe Lee Aase was right – this stuff costs zero Euros.

All the best, Kevin
    .-= Kevin at e-Patient Connections´s last blog ..Racing Car Driver Charlie Kimball at e-Patient Connections 2009 =-.

• Jonathan Richman October 29, 2009 at 12:37 pm #

Kevin,

No problem whatsoever. If my slides were the biggest mistake, then must have gone as well as it appeared. The conference was very well done and that’s not even considering that this is your first as a conference organizer. From what I hear, the additional banter I was able to add in because of the slides made it more entertaining for everyone. I’m glad because I was sweating just a bit up there, but it seemed to work out just fine. Perhaps it would have been really boring if my slides were just as planned. I guess that means that I should be thanking you for the additional challenge.

I’d do it again in a second, so thanks for including me this time. I’m ready for the challenge again next year if you’ll have me.

2. Kevin at e-Patient Connections October 28, 2009 at 9:05 pm #

All the best, Kevin

• Jonathan Richman October 29, 2009 at 8:37 am #

Kevin,

3. Dr. Val October 30, 2009 at 9:21 pm #

I thought you handled the situation really well… But still can’t forget the slide where your title was “My customers want to escape…” where the “esca” was covered by a stray image. Hilarious. You read it out to us, “My customers want to pee”

Again – you handled a tough situation with grace.

• Jonathan Richman November 7, 2009 at 2:00 am #

Dr. Val,

Yep…that was a case of the angle and devil on my shoulder. The angel said, “Be professional and pass on the easy joke…don’t say it…” The devil said, “Oh, come on…it’ll kill…who gets to say ‘pee’ in a professional setting anymore…go for it.” The devil won. I just couldn’t resist. I hesitated for about a half a second…that’s all I could hold out.

4. Dr. Val October 30, 2009 at 5:21 pm #

Again – you handled a tough situation with grace.

• Jonathan Richman November 6, 2009 at 10:00 pm #